Friday, March 16, 2007

Saint Patty's Ball

Last night was Astrid's 24th birthday and the Uni Bar's Saint Patty's Day Ball. We had a barbecue at Astrid's dorm, Hargraves, and then brought out two birthday cakes. Astrid had gone inside when they were brought out, so we had to yell for her to come back. Mary and I had gone to Big W earlier while Astrid and Aalia bought food for the barbecue. I've never seen someone buy so many random gifts in five minutes. Mary wanted to get her truly Aussie gifts, so she went to the check-out counter with Australian-colored shirts, Smarties (like M&M's), Minties, Tim Tams, green lip gloss (well that was for the holiday), Caramello Koalas, Australian undies (just the brand) and a candy necklace to top it off. One girl from Astrid's dorm even made a stitching of Australia and everyone from the dorm signed it and put it in a frame.

(Oh sidenote: When we were checking out at Big W, it was the second time we'd been there and I got the same lady as before. I asked if she checked me out last time and she thought I was asking her if she was "checking me out." It was pretty funny, but I assured her I don't swing that way).

Next stop: Uni Bar. The line was HUGE. We waited outside for at least half an hour, but it was worth it. The band was a U2 cover and they actually looked like the members.
One guy had a big, floppy four-leaf clover around his neck that Astrid tried on and you could tell another guy only owned one green shirt because it had Tigger on it.

I also got assassinated while I was there. Our dorm is playing "assassins," meaning everyone gets a mask and pulls a name out of a hat to find out who their target is. I got Reece and thankfully had my mask with me on campus Thursday, so I tapped him on the shoulder and told him he was dead. It's pretty silly. But then at the Uni Bar, a girl from my dorm came up to me with her mask and told me she got me. Sadness. Now I'm out. Eventually, there will only be two people left trying to target each other. It's kind of like being in middle school again.

All in all, it was a great night and I got over the fact that it was $8 to get in. That may not sound like a lot, but when a college student hands someone a 10 and gets a tiny two dollar coin back, something inside just sinks.

On the same sad note, I was finally called a Yank. In my Aboriginal studies class, the professor came over to my group and asked me if all the Australian politics was making sense to a Yank. I started to correct him and go on my shpeel (how in the world do you spell that?) about how I'm definitely from the south, but I held my tongue. To the next offender, beware.

By the way, I think I've found another obsession besides the fruit chews. I sat down to watch Dancing With the Stars -- Australia version -- a few nights ago and couldn't get up. I don't think either obsession is particularly healthy.

No comments: