Sunday, March 11, 2007

And I-I would walk el-ev-en miles...

Today Megan and I went to Mount Panorama. It's a huge racetrack that goes up and back down a mountain (hence, Mount) and we walked the full 11 miles of it this morning. We left her place at 8 and finished it in 2 hours. All the cyclists and cars passed us and we briefly thought our legs were going to fall off, but it's all good. (We passed a horse on the way).

The actual track is one of the silliest things I've ever seen. I've written about it on this blog before, but there are houses around it and other random things like a winery, a wildlife reserve, a place to pan for gold and sheep.

People don't actually sit in bleachers around the track because there's no room. They gather around the finish line. I don't know what the point of going to a race is if you can't watch it, but to each his own. I think the races are somewhere between 120-160 laps or something, but I could be wrong. A couple of famous drivers recently died on the track and we saw tons of farewells along the concrete barriers.
One of them was Peter Brock and there's a section of the barrier named Brock's Skyline. He crashed at the top of the mountain where it becomes incredibly curvy. In fact, Megan and I almost got run over by this crazy guy who was driving way too fast down the hill.

On a lighter note, we got a lot of good pictures! Megan took a video/sound bite of those creepy birds I was talking about. I say they sound like Scuttle; she says they sound like Bart Simpson being choked. She's probably the more accurate one.

When we got back, she made some of the best french toast in the world. (Is french supposed to be capitalized? I don't think the french in french fries is...)

On the way back to my dorm, I stopped to swing. Life doesn't get much sweeter...well ok, I could've used a smoothie.

Right now I'm getting ready to go to church and then I have to do a lot of reading because I've been a bum the past two days. There's zero motivation to read about media ethics and criminal justice when it's 75 degrees outside and there are better things to do.

Friday, I slept in, went to the pool for four hours and then did some doona reading. A doona is a comforter and it's a big Aussie thing to sit on blankets in the grass. People do that at home of course, but not as much as here. I started reading for class, but got distracted by the ice cream truck and the fact that the dirt mound under my elbows wasn't very comfortable. Later, 9 of us walked downtown to get dinner.

Yesterday, Megan and I went downtown and I did a tad bit of shopping. I only spent about $40, though, because everything was on sale! I did rip some dress I tried on after trying to wiggle out of it for 15 minutes, so now I don't want to go back to exchange one of my shirts. Oh well. The lady wasn't mad.

Oh yeah, Megan and I ended up going into the Big W yesterday and I mentioned wanting a hoodie that says Australia. Right then, I looked to the left and saw a hoodie hanging up that said University of Michigan. What? Who in Australia follows Michigan?

2 comments:

Happily Deranged said...

Who would have thought walking a race track could be so interesting. Glad you didn't get smushed by a crazy flying Australian! And a bird that sounds like Bart Simpson. This I gotta see (hear)!

PS
I dig the Proclaimers refference. 80s music ftw! :)

sadie caprice said...

french toast and swinging with out me! sigh, i've lost u, saddness. *Tear*