Friday, March 30, 2007

One more week!

This week has been crazy. I've had so much work to do, I haven't had time to think about much else. In fact, this has been a lower week since I've been here. I think I've just been stressed and small, random things have happened that have just made me want someone here from home. Nothing major, but on top of a few gloomy days, it's been a wee bit slow. Plus I missed going to Bible study last night and I really look forward to that. The girl who drives me lives right behind the dorm so I literally jumped over the fence to meet her last week. After the study last time, we even played the Wii!

I did, however, finish part one of my Aboriginal studies porfolio! Part two is due toward the end of the semester. After I printed everything off today, I counted 55 pages total in the portfolio. I put it in a pretty red folder and made a cover page with Aboriginal art on it! We had to find a few sources for each topic we've gone over so far this semester and then respond to them critically. I've learned a lot and by doing the portfolio, I won't have to take the exam. By the way, European is a hard word to type.

I've also noticed that all the students call the professors by their first names. I like that -- it's more personal.

Tonight, I went to see Wild Hogs with Astrid, Nichole and Pete. I ordered a medium popcorn and it was about the size of our small. I laughed because it said "grand size" on the side and our "grand size" is a bucket big enough for a mop. The tickets were pricey, though. $11.50 for students. On Tuesdays, they're $9.50. The theatre was nice. It only has five movies playing at a time and I saw the preview for a movie called Hot Fuzz or something. It looks hilarious. I don't know if it's playing at home, but it's about a big-time British cop who's sent to a small town because he makes the other cops look bad. The most exciting thing that happens there is that the swan gets loose. Then there are three murders all in one week, so he gets his chance to be a real cop again. Meanwhile, his partner is fascinated with stories of big-city copping and acts as the idiot sidekick. Must go back to see it.

After the movie, we walked down to the only coffee shop open and I stupidly got a frappuccino. It's really cold outside; I don't know what I was thinking. I'm thinking I should have brought a coat and scarf now. It's not as cold as winter back home yet. The first day it went below 65, everyone rocked the Ugg boots and thick scarves. They looked silly. At night, it does get cold and there's no central heat. There are individual heaters in the rooms, but Adele found out today that they can't be turned on until the end of the semester when it's winter. Don't they know I won't be here then? I'm considering buying a cheap heater to plug in.

When I got home a little bit ago, it was 11:45 and I took a pen into the common room and made a change to the Fine Chart. I don't know why it's called that, but it's a chart with all the dormies listed and beside the names are symbols. Most of the symbols stand for things you don't necessarily want to strive for, but some are funny. One symbol means you've burnt something. Well beside my name is the most boring one up there: a clock with the hands at 11, meaning "home before 11." Hey, I've been back after that. Granted, I don't really want my name up there for anything else, but it makes me feel boring, so once I got home, I made an addition: "+ 1 hour." Now I've officially been home after 11.

At our last dorm meeting, one girl brought up this little boy who lives in Canada. She has a friend there who told her about him. His name is Shane and he'll be turning 8 in June, but he's dying of cancer, so this will probably be his last birthday. His wish is to have the most birthday cards ever and be in the Guinness Book of World Records. There's already someone in there for the most cards over 17 years, but there's going to be a different spot for him for most cards in one birthday. She asked us to give her signed birthday cards and she's going to mail them when she goes to the States over the holiday (April break). I picked one up in the mini mart, but there were only about 2 choices for little boys. If anyone is interested, though, I think it's a great way to come together as a family, community, church or class and do something for someone else. We're trying to get the word out there, so if you want to send a card, let me know and I'll post the address. I would do it now but Dale (my dormie) is asleep :-)


Oh yes, and to address the title of this blog: only one week left until I head to New Zealand!!!!!

2 comments:

Happily Deranged said...

Hot Fuzz... now that's gonna be an awesome movie. :D

Have a great time in New Zealand!

sadie caprice said...

FYI: Hot Fuzz is by the same people and includes the two main characters from Sean of the Dead. Which is hilarious if you haven't seen it and you should as soon as possible.

Miss you

PS i've decided when i finally get around to mailing you something i'm going to mail you a box of bisquick so you can show these people what real southern style biscuits are