Friday, February 9, 2007

it's about time

Woo, look at me figuring out the colored font! I am such a pro...

So I've been asked to write about planning for my trip and my first thought is, "Where do I begin?" I leave Wednesday (in 5 days technically because it's 12:12 a.m. right now) for Tennessee since I'll be flying out of Knoxville. All of the family lives in Tennessee, so it'll be easier for them to see me off. (Mom said she wants to put a sign in the back windshield for the drive to Knoxville that says "Australia or bust." I told her that's embarrassing and I would take a picture, then cry).

Friday is when I actually leave for Australia, exactly one week from today. The first stop is Charlotte, which seems highly unnecessary since it's backtracking, but whatever. Then off to San Francisco and Sydney! From Sydney I'll be taking ANOTHER plane to Bathurst, which is the city I'll be studying in. I'll be at Charles Sturt University, which reminds me of a school like Duke -- smart and intimidating where people walk around wearing ties and knowing too much for their own good. It doesn't help that there aren't that many pictures online, but I was personally placed at the school according to my major, so I suppose it's meant to be. I really wanted to go to Wollongong (pronounced Wool-un-gong) because it's RIGHT by the ocean (and the mountains) which, to be honest, was more important to me than the classes offered. But Bathurst is only 2 1/2 hours from the coast, so I guess I'll survive. (I couldn't have Wollongong because of the limit on exchange students and my majors).

At this point, everyone keeps asking me when I'm leaving. Geez, I'm going! But the truth is I've been planning for this trip since last March. I happened to waltz into the study abroad office about a week before orientation sessions began and made an appointment to get acquainted with all the ins and outs of going abroad. That's how early you have to plan in order to apply for scholarships...which I didn't get because I have bad luck with getting free money.

Anyway, after I applied for scholarships, I had several months to "chill" and didn't have to worry about much of anything. Then it was crunch time and I had to review all the schools I could possibly go to in Australia. Do you know how long I put that off? It seemed so overwhelming, but when I started looking at each school, I got really excited and found pictures of koalas for my desktop background.

Several schools had virtual tours and feedback from other international students, which helped. I didn't want to go to a techie school or one that was too big or too small. Bathurst is about the size of UNCC and sounds like Chapel Hill -- it's in a historical district, but very up-to-date with a lot going on.

I originally wanted to study in New Zealand (after seeing an episode of Baywatch filmed there several years ago) but it was going to be about $12,000 a semester so I said, "Uh, I'll just go to Australia!" Australia has exchange programs, so I narrowed it down to the schools on the coast, then looked at the population, the student/teacher ratio and number of international students. I wanted a true Aussie-feel, so weeded out all the schools that had pictures of all non-Australians on their websites. (Maybe not the most accurate, but we all have our ways).

In the last few months, I've found out just how hard it is to figure things out over the Internet. There have been numerous times I would just sit in front of my computer and yell, "I just want to talk to someone!" I wanted someone to take me by the hand and tell me everything I needed to do, but, alas, I am no longer 4 and I don't handle being bossed around well. Plus, what a learning experience! (And yes, that sounded like an informational video for incoming freshmen).

After I chose my top 3 schools, there were lots of forms, recommendations, transcripts, advisor meetings, etc. to get in order. The staff at UNCC's study abroad office has been an enormous help. They've made everything seem less stressful and helped put things in perspective. A couple months ago, I began corresponding with an advisor from Charles Sturt as well, and wow did I have a lot of questions for that poor woman. But hey, she's getting paid!

Until recently, I was overwhelmed not only with school and work but getting a passport, student visa, plane tickets (thank you Aunt Christa and Uncle Lynn), health insurance (I have to have both international and Australian health insurance) and prescriptions filled. There's SOOOO much to think about. I think I'll be paying rent both here and in Australia since I've had zip luck with finding a subleaser here (I tried hard, no joke), but I'm going and that's something to be happy about. I just never realized there was this much to consider. I'll be leaving my car with my parents and oh how I will miss it, I have to get my taxes done the day before I leave, I had to go to the doctor and dentist, change my address, find out an alternative way to call people...which, for future reference, it's really expensive to get a global phone. You have to pay for your current phone plus the one you use internationally and for Verizon, that's $4 a day. I'm taking the Skype route and investing in an international phone card. I'll still have to pay my monthly bill for the phone I have here, but it's still cheaper than canceling service before my term is out or paying for a global phone.

But anyway, basically there's just a lot to it. HOWEVER, I couldn't be happier that I'm getting this opportunity and I know it'll be worth every minute. Even though it's been a little rough at times, it's Australia! How many times will I get to go there? And it really does bring a sense of accomplishment to know I've done all this planning.

I still have to pack and hang out with everyone before I go, but I'm really excited. Everyone keeps telling me to take a picture of a kangaroo and eat vegemite.

A little piece of advice: If you want to go abroad, go after Christmas. It was a major help to ask only for money to help save up.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Oh wow! Just reading about all of the planning and organization that you've accomplished was enough to make my heart race. I know you'll have an amazing time when you're there and I'm sorry that things did not work out as you'd hoped with finding a subleaser. I pray that Australia is everything you've imagined it to be, if not beyond your wildest dreams! Have a safe flight in a couple of days!