Tuesday, May 8, 2007

What's in YOUR cabinet?

It struck me last week while grocery shopping just how many different "norm" foods there are here. For instance, at home, you can go into any grocery store and find Ritz crackers, granola bars and Hershey chocolate. Here, I let out a shriek when I saw Ritz crackers while on vacation. "Aaah, Ritz! Actual Ritz crackers!" (I've always loved Ritz...that was the best part about going to my grandparents' house when I was younger because Mom only bought Saltines...I love you, Mom).

Here are some "norm" foods found here:

Jatz - a pretty good attempt to copy Ritz crackers.
Weet-Bix - "high-fiber breakfast cereal biscuits" according to Wikipedia; basically really hard, rectangular bars that I have yet to try because they look terribly bland. Wikipedia also offers the insight that the name probably came from looking like "wheat bricks." No thanks.
Muesli - like granola that may include oats, nuts, fruit and wheat...and I still can't pronounce it.
Shapes - baked crackers. They come in a variety of flavors and are shaped like hexagons...I didn't like the barbecue ones very much and am still wondering why they are ALL hexagons. Wouldn't that make the name misleading? Shouldn't it be "Shape" or "Hexagons"?
Cadbury chocolate - it's everywhere...No complaints here.
Rice Bubbles - because Rice Krispies would not suffice. They still have Snap, Crackle and Pop on the front.

A couple days ago, Adele came in my room and saw my stash of Kudos bars. "Ooh, what are these? Did you get these here? Are these from the States? I've never seen these here before." I haven't looked, but I'm guessing they aren't found here. The particular stash was mailed to me. I let her have one and she said they should have them here. I also gave my class partner one and he said Kudos was a good name.

In other, perhaps more boring news, I've done a lot of work so far this week. Considering I procrastinated Thursday through Saturday because, in my defense, it was too pretty outside to do work, I suppose my workload isn't too terrible. Sunday night, I spent six hours writing a paper and decided that no human has ever clicked on "word count" more than I did in that window of time. I always write too much, but there was only so much to say in the particular paper. I'm getting really tired of all the nooks and crannies of criminal law. There are sooo many exceptions and particulars. Thank goodness I have no desire to be a lawyer; I think I'd be bad at it. "So, what defense can you offer me?" "Oh darn, let me check my notes."

But after I write my presentation paper tonight, I only have one essay, a portfolio and 3 exams to go!

I've decided I don't like the grading here, though. It's not just me either; a few other American and Canadian students have said the same. I've heard from several people - even professors - that only a couple of people per course get "high distinction" (basically a high A) every semester and it's pretty hard to get a decent grade. I've gotten back a few things now and I always work really hard on my assignments and try to make sure I've done everything the way they want it done here, but I'm not exactly satisfied with the grading. I've done ok, but I was expecting higher grades. To me, the professors are very vague in what they want. "Critical this and analysis of that" and if you don't have exactly what they're looking for, marks off. And I could be very wrong, but I'm pretty sure I got a couple points off for not putting Crimes Act in italics for one subject essay. Good grief, take me back to UNCC where they let you know what the expectations are. Nichole and I said we should rally against the grading system.

I did, however, do well on my latest Aboriginal studies assignment. It figures - the only class that's not part of my course requirements.

2 comments:

sarah said...

hey, thanks for the email. sorry the grading there sucks. it sounds like the grading in harry potter - O for outstanding, A for acceptable, etc. i just found out i'll probably be back in charlotte at the end of july, so i'll get to see you then! yay!

Mom3Kids said...

Hey now, I bought generic club crackers and those Georgia "ritz" crackers. Why, that makes me sound CHEAP. Don't forget "Freaky Fruit" cereal! Sorry about that. Guess what - we are going to Rebekah's wedding tomorrow night and I forgot to tell you - Whitney is going to have another baby in August - a boy! Don't break any teeth on those hard treats they have there. Love you!! MOM