Monday, May 21, 2007

Slippery dip!

I learned a new term today: slippery dip. We passed a playground and I asked what slides are called because I heard they aren't called slides here. Sharon and Dave told me the Aussie word for it and that made my day. What great terminology. Who can have a bad day in Australia when things are called such fun words? I also smile everytime someone says "right-ee-o."

"Ay, mate."
"How're you going?"
"Ah yeh, good."
"Right-ee-o."

I love it...I do get made fun of for how I say "Aussie." It's said "Ozzie," but in my defense, that's not how it's spelled.

So this past weekend was one of the laziest weekends I've had in awhile and it was great. The only work I have left to do before exams is my portfolio and an essay. The first one is due next Monday and the second is due June 11, so it was a little difficult to find motivation this weekend. For the portfolio, I have to do 13 responses to articles and media sources and the entire weekend, I wrote two paragraphs. I've already pulled, printed and referenced all my sources, which is half the battle. Last night, though, I wrote about 10 pages and finished the first four responses, so I'm sure the rest will get done in the next couple of days. I was definitely more swamped with work at the beginning of the semester, but it pays to stay on top of things.

I also gave my first solo presentation last week for my criminology class. I had one before with a partner for my media ethics class the week before and I think both went well.

Oh yeah, but back to my weekend, I did go bowling on Friday night with Pete and some people from his dorm. I came in 2nd the first round and did absolutely appalling the second time around. There was a penalty for the guys who bowled under 100, but I won't go into detail.

One of the girls who went was playing a racing game before we bowled and it was so odd to see the car on the left side of the road. It never crossed my mind that racing games would be different over here.

The next night, I got together with Charlie, Nichole and Megan to watch The Wicker Man. I was intrigued at first, but then it got too weird for me. I wouldn't watch it again.

So fast forwarding to today, a refugee from Zimbabwe came to talk to our Aboriginal studies class. (We're on the topic of immigration and refugees). She was a secretary for Mugabe (the president of Zimbabwe) eight years ago, but was later arrested and beaten because she basically knew too much. When she felt her life was in danger, she fled to Australia because she has a brother and sister here. Her cousin told her it wasn't safe to come back soon after. She worked in journalism and PR over in Zimbabwe, but has decided to get a degree for doing welfare work over here. She said she hasn't seen her daughter, who now has a two-year-old, in over 10 years, but her daughter has a degree and a good job somewhere else (I can't remember). On one hand, it was very depressing, but on the other, she was very encouraging and you could tell she really values her life and opportunities here. She also made the point that even if we don't think something in another country affects us, it probably does in one way or another.

After class, I met Astrid and we walked into town for a few groceries and stopped at a coffee shop. I got a Belgian iced chocolate drink and it came in a fancy glass. It wasn't expensive either! She was telling me she may change her flight home for an earlier time. The original plan was to stay in Australia til July 25, but money issues are catching up with everyone. Then she told me how her parents just got back from Spain on holiday. It must be nice to have so many holidays (or vacations). I don't know anyone who can just pack up and leave the country for three weeks at a time. Of course, her parents don't have to work too much and all the kids are out on their own, but still...I've met several people in Australia that are my age and have had countless opportunities to travel like that. Especially when we had our own holiday back in April, there were a bunch of people who were from other countries and in the process of traveling around Australia and everywhere else for weeks at a time. Two girls I met on our sailing trip had come from England and their next stop was Fiji, followed by somewhere in South America. Another guy was planning to go to Italy and work in a vineyard until who knows when. Who has the money for that? Maybe I should live in another country so I get more breaks and it's less stressful.

As for the rest of this week, I'll be getting a new roommate tomorrow. A bunch of people have moved out of the dorm, so now there are double rooms with only one person left and those rooms have to be filled. Sal is moving upstairs and Erin from next door is moving in here. Right now, Sal's stuff is already out and I have the room to myself for the night. I REALLY miss having my own room...although I miss my own bathroom even more. Well that's all for now I suppose. This is longer than I thought it would be...and now I'm making it longer by typing that it's long. Cheers!

P.S. A lot of people think all Americans have guns (like handguns, not rifles). Sal asked if I had one and I laughed. I told them there actually is a process for buying one and considering the population, not that many people use them..."except in Texas." ;)

2 comments:

randell13 said...

Hi Tiffany
Please ask your Mom or Dad to e-mail me. Mother has my e-mail and phone.
Thank you for the card. It came last week. I have had bronchitis.....you don't want it.... ever.

Enjoy yourself.
Randell

Cody McClaflin said...

finally an update.. its been a while.. i hope everything is going well for you tiff!